“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

While our immigration system has evolved over the decades, Americans have remained committed to common sense policies that keep our families together and live up to our rich immigrant heritage.

There are many programs and opportunities for individuals seeking legal pathways to live and work in the United States, and different eligibility requirements and criteria exist for each program.

Which Program Is Right For You?

While you should always consult a lawyer before pursuing any application process, you can use the tool below to learn more about the potential program opportunities available to undocumented residents in the United States.

This tool is a guideline and should be used for reference purposes only. It is always advisable to consult an immigration lawyer or DOJ accredited representative about your case. Every individual is different, and your case may include circumstances that provide a different pathway for you.

Immi helps immigrants understand their legal options and know their rights. Click below to start a free and anonymous screening interview.



This tool is for reference purposes only and does not store information.

What is happening with DACA?

The DACA program (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) was established in 2012 to provide a legal pathway to stay and work in the United States for people who arrived in the U.S. as children and met certain other requirements. In September, 2017, the Trump administration indicated it would terminate the DACA program.

Recent decisions in federal court halted the Trump administration’s plan to cancel DACA. USCIS is again accepting applications from DACA renewal applicants. 

For more information:

  • Read USCIS’ guidelines here
  • Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions here
  • Learn what the court decisions mean for your case:

    Source: Catholic Legal Immigration Network

Where can I go for support?


  1. Stay informed. Find free educational events on our website.
  2. Get help with renewal and learn if you are eligible for permanent immigration status. Find legal support here. 



Who's Eligible?

You might be eligible to apply for Citizenship if you:

  • Are at least 18 years old
  • Have been a Lawful Permanent Resident for at least the last five years (or three years if married to a U.S. Citizen)
  • Have been physically present in the United States for at least a total of two years and six months during the past five years (or one year and six months if married to a U.S. Citizen)
  • Have not been outside the United States for more than one year at a time
  • Can speak, read and write conversational English (with exceptions)
  • Are able to pass a U.S. Civics and History exam (with exceptions)
  • Are a person of “good moral character”
  • Are willing to take an oath of loyalty to the United States.

USCIS created a US Citizenship eligibility worksheet to help individuals work through whether they are eligible to apply for US. Citizenship. Please click here to download the worksheet.

How to Prepare

Before applying for US Citizenship, you should take some time to ensure that applying for citizenship is the right process for you:

1. Check that you meet the eligibility criteria. Review eligibility criteria (see above) and meet with an immigration lawyer or BIA accredited representative

2. Review possible legal problems. If you answer “yes” to any of the situations in the box below, talk to a legal professional before you apply. An immigration lawyer or BIA-accredited representative can help you learn if you are prevented from applying or if the situation can be corrected.

Visit our “Legal Help” page to find legal services in your area.

  • You left the United States for six months or more.
  • You moved to another country after you became a permanent resident.
  • You spent time in jail.
  • You had family problems and were charged with domestic violence, spouse abuse, child abuse, or child neglect.
  • You are on probation or parole for a criminal conviction.
  • You are now in deportation proceedings or have been ordered deported in the past.
  • You helped someone enter the United States illegally, including relatives.
  • You lied to get a green card for yourself or someone else.
  • You lied or didn’t tell the truth to receive public benefits.
  • You said you were a United States citizen, but were not.
  • You were involved in prostitution.
  • You have not filed your federal income taxes every year that you worked in the United States and you earned enough money to file.
  • You have not paid court ordered child support or have not provided support to your children living outside the United States.
  • You are an alcoholic or were arrested for drunk driving or being drunk in public.
  • You are male and did not register for the Selective Service between the ages of 18 and 26 if you lived in the United States at the time.
  • You have had more than one spouse/marriage at the same time in the United States.
  • You have been involved in illegal gambling.
  • You were convicted of selling or possessing drugs.

3. Review testing challenges. As part of the application process, you will need to know enough English language to conduct elements of the process. You will also need to have an understanding of basic U.S. history and government. There are online resources and classes offered to help you prepare for this part of the application process.

How to Apply

There are free citizenship clinics to help you fill out your N-400 forms. Call 503-409-2473 to learn about upcoming dates and sign up.

You can also receive one-on-one assistance with filing for US Citizenship. Contact an immigration lawyer or a BIA accredited representative to help you with this process.


NOTE: While it is not required that a legal professional assist you with your application for citizenship, most people find it extremely important and helpful. Do not take advice or counsel from public notaries. Only lawyers or BIA-accredited representatives can provide legal advice on this application process.

These humanitarian programs through USCIS provide protections to individuals fleeing persecution; survivors of human trafficking, domestic violence, and certain other crimes; and immigrants from countries encountering crisis.  Visit USCIS for additional information.

The information below is not an exhaustive list and an immigration lawyer or BIA accredited representative is the best person to determine which benefit(s) someone qualifies for. Visit our legal help page to find legal services in your area.


What is asylum? Asylum is a protection for people who fear they will be harmed if they return to their country.

Who is eligible? If you are afraid to go back to your country because someone may harm you upon your return, or because they have harmed you or your family in the past due to your religious beliefs, your race, your political activities, or your membership in a certain group, consult an attorney about asylum.

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS)

What is SIJS? SIJS is a humanitarian visa for minors whose parents have died, abandoned them, abused or mistreated them.

Who is eligible? If either or both of your parents has died or has abandoned you, mistreated or abused you, or allowed another person to abuse you, consult an attorney about Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.

The T Visa

What is the T visa? The T visa is a humanitarian visa for individuals who have suffered human trafficking within the borders of the U.S.

Who is eligible? If someone made you come to the United States by force, or if you came to this country and once being here, were forced by someone to do things you didn’t want to do, you may qualify for the protection of the T visa. If someone made you work without compensation, locked you up without letting you leave, and/or stole your identity documents, consult an attorney about the T visa.

Find more resources at the Oregon Department of Justice’s Immigrant Crime Victims information page

The U Visa

What is the U visa? The U visa is a humanitarian visa for individuals who have been the victims of certain crimes within the U.S. 

Who is eligible? If you or a family member has been the victim of a crime in the U.S.–including Domestic Violence, assault, sexual abuse, among others — and the crime was reported to the police, consult an attorney about the U visa.

Find more resources at the Oregon Department of Justice’s Immigrant Crime Victims information page

Watch the video: What is a U visa? (English/Spanish)


What is VAWA? VAWA benefits protect individuals who have suffered domestic violence at the hands of certain family members with permanent resident status or citizenship. 

Who is eligible? If you or a family member has been the victim of domestic violence perpetrated by a spouse, parent, or while who is a citizen or has a green card, you may be eligible for certain benefits based on the Violence Against Women Act. Consult an attorney to learn more about VAWA.

Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

What is TPS? TPS provides work authorization and temporary permission to remain in the U.S. to individuals from certain countries that have suffered major natural or humanitarian disasters.

Who is eligible? If you came to the U.S. from a country currently designated for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) before a given date, you may be eligible to apply for TPS. Consult an attorney and visit USCIS for more information.

The information below is not an exhaustive list and an immigration lawyer or BIA accredited representative is the best person to determine which benefit(s) someone qualifies for. Visit our legal help page to find legal services in your area.

Family Petition

What is a Family Petition? People with legal status in the U.S. may petition for certain relatives, setting them on a path to potentially obtain legal status.

Who is eligible? If you are the spouse, parent, sibling, son, or daughter of a U.S. Citizen, or if you are the spouse or child of a permanent resident, consult an attorney to learn more about Family Petitions.


  • “Now that I know I have [DACA], it makes me feel extremely happy to know that I have a higher chance to move in a job or finish my education... I encourage others to apply for DACA. If I can do it, you can do it. Don’t be afraid.”

    - Juanita Aniceto

  • “With DACA, I don’t have to worry about deportation. I work legally, I can file my taxes. I can step out of what they call the shadows. I can have an identity.”


    - Sara Ramirez

  • “I have more dignity. Even as simple as the fact that I’m able to drive legally with a driver’s license is huge; it’s like you have this tool to get your basic necessities. DACA really changed my life.”

    - Miriam Corona

  • “I think more than anything, more than just the physical aspect of the ID…just to know that you are part of this country. You are out in the light without feeling iffy about things. That’s the greatest thing.”


    - Aldo Solano